Thursday, April 21, 2011

Upcycled Cardboard Tube Flowers

I wanted to make a springy/easter banner or garland with my girls, and I saw a picture somewhere (I wish I could remember where the link was since I got the idea from there!) of an adorable garland made of recycled toilet paper or paper towel tubes.  Apparantly lots of people have done this, because it was pretty easy to find a how to on the web - check it out! 

Cardboard Tube Flowers

Here's an example of a really crazy, cool one! 

We had a freak hailstorm one afternoon last week, so it was the perfect time for the girls and I to do an indoor activity.  This is a great craft for all ages - my 13 year old enjoyed mixing up all the craft paint colours, and my 4 year old sat for in a chair for at least half an hour carefully painting her toilet paper petals with a little paintbrush.  After they were painted, we let them dry overnight, pinched them & glued them into five petal flower shapes, poked a hole in the top petal, and strung them on a piece of ribbon.  Oh yes, we also painted a sheet of corrugated cardboard, cut it into circles, and glued them onto the flower for the centre.


It was so stinkin' easy, fun, and FREE!  And with the bizarre temperamental weather we've had lately it's nice to have a few flowers to brighten the doorway.

Happy Easter!

Linked to Thrifty Thursday
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This is super neat! I think I may try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these flowers a few months back...love them! The garland idea is great. I have them suspended from some branches...

    :)

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see more of your ideas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cute. I love frugal crafts. And I think the simplicity of basic crafts lets the kids use their imagination and not get overwhelmed by the "must have" craft stuff, which is really imagination robbing materials.

    ReplyDelete