Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Homemade Green Carpet Deodorizer

Is anybody getting a spring cleaning urge?  OK, maybe you haven't, but here is a super cheap, green way to give your carpets a little perk up without going all out and giving them a steam cleaning.  And it uses that amazing cleaning product that should be in every home.

Baking Soda!

 
HOMEMADE GREEN CARPET POWDER

1.  Put baking soda in a repurposed container with holes drilled in lid.  (I used an old peanut butter jar and tried to punch holes with a nail, but it just cracked the plastic.  Hubby suggested trying a drill next time.)  A cheese shaker would work as well.


2.  Sprinkle a few drops of essential oil and mix well with a fork to remove any clumps.  I used orange and eucalyptus.

3.  Sprinkle on your carpets and let sit for anywhere from  15 minutes to overnight if you don't mind the powder everywhere, then vacuum.  Or in my case let your Roomba loose.  (I love my Roomba!  I tell him all the time so he feels appreciated.  And yes, my Roomba is a he.)

This powder doesn't just need to be used on carpets  Sprinkle anywhere that needs a scrubbing - sink, counters, fridge...skip on those nasty chemical cleaners!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very informative as I have been researching a lot lately on practical matters such as you talk about..
    Green carpet cleaning Utah

    ReplyDelete