Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crafting for the Clueless - Easy Upcycled Ruffled Velvet Flower Headband

My Mom had sent a pair of velvet leggings along to my four year old.  (My mom is an expert second hand shopper.)  And while the length was right, they were way too baggy and loose to work as leggings on my little, skinny minnie.  But the navy, velvet, stretchy fabric was so pretty I thought, "I'm sure I can upcycle this material!"

My other daughter wanted a little pouch to keep all her "silly bandz" in, so I quickly sewed up a drawstring tote with a piece of one of the legs.  (Just needed to sew up the bottom, fold over the top and sew it over top a piece of ribbon for the drawstring.

Not terribly even, but my girl was happy.

I stared at the remaining pieces on my table and noticed that the waistband looked about the size of a stretchy headband.  I trimmed some loose frays, and then made a ruffled flower embellishment.  I can't believe how easy these are to make.  It's basically circles of material, folded in half, then folded again.  Then sewed or hot glued onto a flat circle.  Here's a tutorial!  I didn't even follow all the steps.  I just did one layer of ruffle, and cut out all my circles the same size.  No biggie - it doesn't have to be perfect!

Then I sewed a little button on the middle & at the same time sewed it through to the headband.  I did this at the kitchen table in the amount of time it took for my girls to drink their hot chocolate & eat their after school snack.


Perfect for my girly-girl!

Linked to:  Today's Creative Blog

Tip Junkie handmade projects
Anything Related

http://www.thethriftyhome.com

3 comments:

  1. this is a great headband! Looks good on your little girl. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute!!! I love the flower. And the freckles, hehe! :)

    PS- I'm doing my first ever giveaway on my blog and I'd love if you'd stop by and enter! Check it out: http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca - and we love the freckles too!

    ReplyDelete