Saturday, March 19, 2011

Daily Declutter Challenge # 36 - Freedom from the Unfinished

I admit it.  I love to try lots of new things and bounce from hobby to hobby, but that leaves me with one problem.  I tend to have a lot of half-finished projects sitting around.  Maybe that's part of being a "Clueless Crafter".  But I'm trying really hard to develop more discipline in this area, and blogging certainly helps.  It's not really interesting to write about good intentions.

In my decluttering I came across not one, not two, but THREE half finished cross stitch projects.  My mother in law is the most amazing cross-stitcher, and she taught me how to do it about 12 years ago.  It's remarkably easy!  It's simply making little x stitches on small fabric following a guide for the colours.  It's relaxing and rewarding.  But it does require patience and discipline to finish; they just aren't worth framing and displaying when they are half done.

I'm not sure why I had three started and not finished, you'd think I'd have the wisdom not to get going on another when there was already one needing my attention.  I think I had made some errors in them and didn't have the heart to go back and rip the stitches out and start over.  So there they sat, cluttering up much needed drawer space, silently mocking me for over ten years.  Seriously.  I haven't worked on them in ten years!  So I did a bold thing...I tossed them.

I didn't take a picture of them, since I had to be fast in my decision to give them the boot.  I did not want to have a chance to second guess myself.  Goodbye items in my home that hang over my head in guilt and condemnation....I'm onto something new!

2 comments:

  1. love the ending picture. perfect ending for this post.
    it's always such a liberating feeling to just "toss" something out on a whim.. especially when it's something you've been holding on to for so long.

    found your blog through Enjoying the Small Things.

    -KristanLynn @ adelynSTONE
    http://www.kristanlynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristanlynn. I popped by your blog; you're pictures are lovely and the colours are inspiring....spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete