Friday, March 4, 2011

Daily Declutter Challenge #26 - Back Door Pile

We have a patio door in our kitchen that we use as a back door entry of sorts.  It mostly gets used in the summer when we eat on the patio, cook on the BBQ, or play in the backyard.  So, the area needs a little "mini mud room spot" to store shoes and also for the kids to hang up their backpacks.

But I don't think it needs to look like this!
 Ack!

The folding chairs were handy for company, but we didn't need them for daily use, so I managed to find some space in one of our few storage closets for them.  The large basket for shoes was the main problem.  It had become a huge clutter nest!  After I dumped out the pile of shoes, (most of which didn't fit my kids anymore) I found a bizarre assortment of items that had found a secret little home in the basket, never to be seen again.  Till now.

A bag of empty spray paint cans that needed to be taken to recycling, a lone ski glove, 2 work gloves, a pen that missed my pen roundup, strap from a booster seat, a beach shovel, and a plastic baby spoon.  It was time to get rid of stuff or actually put it away where it belonged!

I did need something to put shoes on for the back door, especially once warmer weather comes.  I went with a simple boot mat.  It's not quite big enough, but it's definitely better than the giant basket of debris.


Anyone else have back door solutions?  Do you have an exit from your kitchen that gets cluttered?  I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment