Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Valentine's Gift For You

Every year I bake heart shaped, sugar cookies with my girls, and then they invite a few friends over to decorate them the day before Valentine's. 

Baking cookies is a great excuse to wear my Minnie Mouse apron!

This year, for the first time, I made the cookies entirely with whole wheat, mainly because I've just plain ol' stopped buying white flour.  I wasn't sure how they'd turn out, since rolling whole wheat dough is a little tricky.
This girl LOVES to bake!

The verdict?  Awesome!  Way better than white, as they actually had some flavour, other than just sugar-y.  So my gift to you this Valentine's is the recipe!

Rolled Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions

Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl, and stir into the butter mixture a bit at a time, blending thoroughly as you go.
Pat the dough into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.
Lightly flour a cutting board, and roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut out cookies with cookie cutters.
Place cookies on cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 F oven until golden, about 8 minutes.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

SOOOOO good.  Especially 'cause I used real butter.  We were having such a good time making a mess decorating, that I forgot to take a pic of the finished product.  Anyway.  Trust me.  Soooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment