Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Stew Special #3 - Pineapple Chicken over Rice

Don't you love it when chicken meat just falls off the bones after 6 hours in a slow cooker?  I had some chicken drumsticks, (one of the most affordable chicken cuts generally), in the freezer so I decided to make use of those for our Sunday Stew Special.

Pineapple Chicken over Rice
2 lbs chicken legs, skin removed
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, cut into coins
2 celery sticks, cut into 1/2 inch diagonally slices
1 can pineapple tidbits, reserve the juice
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp grounder ginger
1/4 tsp salt

Place drumsticks on bottom of crockpot.
Add sliced veggies & pineapple tidbits.
Mix in remaining ingredients in small saucepan with reserved pineapple juice.  Heat on medium and stir till well blended and hot.  Pour into crockpot.  Cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

I thickened the sauce when I returned home by straining out the liquid into the saucepan & thickening with some flour.

I cooked the brown rice before leaving for church in the morning.  I didn't need to reheat the rice, since pouring the saucy stew over top made it nice & hot.

I didn't have red peppers in mine, but that would be a nice addition.

Here's what the Brownlee Test Kitchen had to say!
4 yr old - still sick with no appetite.  Laid on couch & watched Tinkerbell.
10 yr old - I don't think pineapples go good with stew.  She was also sick and had very little appetite.
12 yr old - It's great!  The chicken is so good and tender.  Could use more flavour though.
Husband - I'm enjoying this stew.  I'm going to have some more.  Darling.  (Now he knows that I will write down what he says, he's trying to sound like the perfect husband!)  It could use more soya sauce.
Homestay Student - It's okay. When pressed for more details she added,  Maybe some spice would help?  I like you, just not your stew.  I assured her I wouldn't take it personally.
The Cook - I'm glad the pineapples aren't overpoweringly sweet like some pineapple sauce.  It is a little too bland though.  Next time I would add chicken stock to flavour it up.

Votes:  3 Thumbs up (with more flavour added), 2 Thumbs Down, One Littlest Thumb playing on Daddy's iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment