Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fluffy, Filling Whole Wheat Pancakes

Our family has always eaten whole wheat bread, but I wanted to do more baking with whole wheat flour.  (Brown rice too!)  For the longest time I had whole wheat & white flour in the house....but it wasn't till I STOPPED BUYING the white alltogether that I really made the switch.  Sometimes you just need to change a shopping habit to change an eating habit.  Duuhhhh.  I know.  Not rocket science.

Pancakes are a great way to start using whole wheat.  And they are a Saturday tradition around the Brownlee house.  But.....they are heavy.  So I'm always on the lookout for a fluffier recipe.  Today we tried this one!
Not actually my pancakes, but if I had a fancy DSLR camera I'm sure they'd look like this.  ;-)
FLUFFY FILLING WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES

1 1/2 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup oatmeal
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 dash of cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat griddle to medium
Mix dry ingredients together & then add moist.  Mix until just blended.
The batter will be a little thicker than traditional pancake batter.  Scoop the batter onto the griddle using a 1/4 cup scoop and a spatula to “smear” it into a flattish circle.
Brown on both sides and serve!  I love mine with jam and my 10 year old loves her just with butter.  They already have a nice, sweetish flavour.

The best thing about pancakes is that you can add in so many things.  Creativity can abound!  But sometimes, you may just end up with a heavy, hockey puck.  That's okay too.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment