Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Daily Declutter #19 - Another Clutter Nest Eliminated

I shared in a previous post about how I got rid of a cozy, little nest for clutter at the top of the stairs.  It's been working remarkably well!  I'm not saying that the cabinet always stays perfectly clear, but without a basket for random items to accumulate, I'm forced to deal with the items more frequently.  What's the mantra?  "Don't put it down, put it away!"

So I decided to tackle another Clutter Nest.  There was a basket at the bottom of the stairs, in our mudroom, filled with random items.  Bags & purses were also getting piled onto the post!  Not such a nice homecoming, is it?



Really, the only oft needed items in the pile were my husband's drumsticks (in their black case), my keys, and our dust buster.  Everything else (roller blade elbow pads, travel Sudoku game, shoe polish, a book, reusable bags, bungee cord, two purses, and used napkins) either got put away, thrown away, or given to the garage sale pile.  I'm sure some of the items have been in there for months and months!

After:
I've found that if I give clutter a convenient, cozy nest then it never, ever, ever leaves.  Goodbye nest.  Goodbye clutter.

3 comments:

  1. Just a tip for the reusable bags, once I empty them after a grocery trip, I put them back in the trunk of my car. That way I never forget them and they don't end up hanging out in the kitchen or by the front door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I have also been trying to control the clutter in my problem areas...the desk and the dining room table (right near our front door).

    ReplyDelete