Friday, January 14, 2011

Tired of the Junk Mail?

Do you ever stop to think about how much time we spend sorting through junk mail?  We take it out of the mailbox, put it down somewhere, go through it and open it up when you have time, maybe take the time to read it, put it down again, and hopefully it eventually finds it's way into the recycling bin.  It's just one more thing for you to deal with, isn't it?  I started saving myself the step of bringing into the house, and instead, any unsolicited mail without my name or address on it I just put back into the postal slot!  I figured Canada Post makes the money off of it, they can deal with it.  But that's not really addressing the following fact that huge amounts of resources are used in the production of paper advertising and yet the industry standard is a 2% response rate! That means 98% of it is a waste!

I don't think those are birthday cards....

All along, I had no idea that there was a really simple way to take your name off the majority of junk mail lists.  Check out The Red Dot Campaign!  This simple, informative website tells you how Canadians can stop receiving ad mail. 

 You can print off one of their No Junk Mail signs, stick it to the inside or outside of your mailbox, and Canada Post will honour it!  You can even order a cute, 'lil, water resistant sticker if you want to shell out a few bucks.  Then, if for some reason, you continue to get unsolicited junk mail, they even give you a copy of a letter to Canada Post that you can simply put right in your mailbox.  No stamp or envelope required!

Lastly, you can click on this link to get your name on the Canadian Marketing Association's "Do Not Contact" list.  Kinda like the "Do Not Call" list.  I went to the link and it took me about 30 seconds to fill out.

I've never eaten at Ocean Park Pizza in spite of the umpteen ads I've received from them over them over the years, so I don't think I'm going to miss their glossy flyer one bit!

I'm looking forward to seeing if this actually works....and looking forward to moving papers from point A to B to C to D....

No comments:

Post a Comment