Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Made Protein/Energy Bars

Last night I made a super, easy "from scratch" recipe.  A friend recommended Tone It Up's Homemade Protein Bars to me, so I thought in my quest for "box-less" shopping I'd give it a go!
Chewy & delicious - but not low-cal!

I had my 4 yr old & 10 yr old help me and it was quick and simple.  You do have to use a saucepan on the stove, so make sure little fingers don't get too close!  Everyone in the family likes them, but I do find them a little heavy on the honey.  I don't have the same sweet tooth that my kids do though!  I doubled the recipe and I also substituted protein powder (didn't have any on hand) with just some powdered milk.

Here's the recipe I ended up with my changes!

High Protein Peanut Butter Apricot Energy Bars
2 cups Creamy Peanut Butter
2 cups Honey (next time I'd try 1 & 1/4)
2 cups Old Fashioned Oatmeal
2 cups Diced Apricots
2 cups Sliced Almonds
1 & 1/2 cups Powdered Milk

Directions:
1) In medium size pot, heat Honey & Peanut Butter on stove on medium heat until texture is runny.
2) Mix in Apricots, Nuts, Oatmeal, & Protein Powder
3) Stir until all ingredients are well coated
4) Grease a 9×13 pan with fat free non-stick spray.
5) Press in ingredients evenly
6) Cool in fridge for at least 45 minutes
7) Slice & wrap individual bars in plastic wrap.
8) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment